[CentOS] And then there was one (browser)

Tue Feb 11 11:22:41 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 02/09/2014 05:35 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> Sure, we talked to them (redhat).  That does not make the code actually
>> build any faster.
>>
>> The code does not build (as is) on EL6 and each build needs to be
>> troubleshot and error corrected to make it work.
>>
>> Currently there are several pieces not building ... just like there were
>> before.  The 31 tree was finally made to build, after several changes,
>> The 32 tree is not building.
>>
>> I like to use chromium as well ... but the only supported browser is
>> Firefox ... that is the one with EL support.  Chromium is a best effort
>> to get to build (and it always will be) ... Google has no interest in
>> supporting it, so we are taking the code that they release and working
>> with it until it builds on EL6.
>>
> Thanks for the update Johnny,
>
> In the meantime I have requested Remi's repo for Firefox 27.

Why do you need Firefox 27 ... CentOS has the latest ESR version of
Firefox (24.3.0) that gets security updates and it will always be the
ESR version, so it will always get security updates and always move
forward.  So, moving forward and supported.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/faq/

This firefox should be relevant, do almost everything the new one does,
and be supportable within an organization.  In fact, Mozilla chose to
work with Enterprise Linux groups while Google basically thumbed their
noses at the prospect.

Why can't an always moving forward branch of Firefox work for you?