[CentOS] OpenVPN problem

Wed Feb 12 02:28:12 UTC 2014
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 01:15:15 +0000
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I'm interested to know how you - or anyone else implementing OpenVPN -
> actually uses it in practice.

Well, I tend to support a number of people (Linux/computing
noobs in general), maintaining their laptops and desktops.

So each machine that I maintain is connected to my VPN, and I can
access it whenever the client needs me to, wherever their laptop might
be at the moment. Most of those machines are personal laptops, being
carried all over the planet and connected to all sorts of networks. Any
dynamic DNS stuff is useless for them, and they are typically behind
some NAT in some third-party's LAN, in a hotel room or a university
wireless LAN or an airport or at home or... You get the picture.

So having them all in my VPN is very efficient. I typically use SSH to
access them, VNC if needed. I also roll an apache server on one of my
machines, so that I can access it from client-side if needed. As
far as fixing problems and maintenance goes, it's the next best thing to
having the machine in my office on my desk.

The only two things I cannot troubleshoot are hardware problems and
network access failures. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko