[CentOS] new Centos 6.5 32 bit yum issue

Wed Feb 19 11:12:03 UTC 2014
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 02/19/2014 11:01 AM, rajkumar raj wrote:
> check following
> #cd /etc/yum.repos.d
> check whether base.repo is available and then remove that file

DO NOT delete base.repo, this guy is newbie or wants to create you more
problems!

> You can freshly install latest epel from location accorindg to your version
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel
>
> Then you can try yum
>

>   On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 20:32 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
>
>   > >> When I fire up the virtualbox VM Centos starts
>   as I would expect, but
>   > >> when I try to use yum list updates (or any of
>   several other yum
>   > >> command I've tried) I get a repo error - "
>   > >> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
>   > >> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
>   > >> http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=6&arch=i386&repo=os
>   error was
>   > >> 14: PYCURL ERROR 6 - "Couldn't resolve host
>   'mirrorlist.centos.org'"
>   > >> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:
>   base

Couldn't resolve host 'mirrorlist.centos.org means that your VM is not
resolving (DNS) that host.
Try:
ping mirrorlist.centos.org

It it works, then firewall could be the problem, but I doubt it.
If it does not work, as I suspect, then either your VM host (Ubuntu)
does not accept or forwards DNS requests from your VM guest (CentOS) or
"DNS server" information DHCP provides to your guest is faulty.

So you either need to fix your Ubuntu's DNS server, Ubuntu firewall to
allow port 53 from inside (CentOS VM), or just set static "Primary DNS
server to something like 8.8.8.8 (Google OpenDNS).

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...