[CentOS] Language support annoyance

Wed Feb 19 22:47:50 UTC 2014
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 04:57:10PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 04:03:18PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> >> I've got a user that wants Japanese language support in firefox... our
> >> *stock* CentOS firefox, 24.3. I've yum installed i18, and i10, and no
> >> joy.
> >> Looked at firefox addons, and there's one, 27.0.
> >>
> >> Won't install, "not compatible". Neither is either 24.0, or 25.0.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a link to a compatible version?
> >
> > You probably need Japanese fonts.  Do they need to be able to input or
> > just read?
>
> Read. Firefox. Akemi's answer worked.

Yes, I saw that after I'd posted.  These days, Japanese is fairly trivial
in Linux.

> And then she says, but I still can't read it, looking at me innocently....
> (My user's Japanese. We both chuckled.

More likely, she's forgotten how to write it.  :)
Various friends and acquaintances have told me that due to constant use of
computers or texting, they've forgotten how to write various characters.

(I'm sure that Akemi san is not one of them though.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6