[CentOS] Old harware (intel 82845G card) stopped working after update (centos 6)

Thu Feb 20 14:59:59 UTC 2014
Alain.Cochard at unistra.fr <Alain.Cochard at unistra.fr>

Alain.Cochard at unistra.fr writes on Wed 19 Feb 2014 08:44:

 > At any rate, what are my options now?
 >
 > Could it be possible to downgrade to the working state?  Google tells
 > me about 'yum downgrade', but is it a good route in this case?  Should
 > I and could I go back to 6.4?  Or could I try to identify a particular
 > package?
 >
 > Or is it more promising to try to reinstall?
 >
 > Also, is there a hope that I could find a workaround with some
 > configuration file, like xorg.conf?

I followed the following, found at

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10613/intel-82845g-integrated-graphics-hanging-in-fedora-18-i686-desktop/

from someone with the same problem:

   * When your machine boots into the login screen (or a black screen
	 with cursor if you are unlucky like me) hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to
	 screen TTY2

   * Login as root

   * type 'init 3' to shut down the graphical interface

   * type 'X -configure' (case sensitive)

   * The new xorg.conf.new will be in root's home folder. optionally
	 type 'cd /root' to get to that file.

   * type 'nano xorg.conf.new' to open the file

   * Find the line under "Device" which says 'Driver "intel"' and
	 change it to 'Driver "vesa"'

   * save and exit with CTRL+X, press 'Y' then hit <enter>

   * rename existing xorg.conf, if any: mv -i /etc/X11/xorg.conf
	 /etc/xorg.conf.old

   * copy your new file with "vesa" line to the right place: cp
	 /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

   * start in graphical mode with 'init 5' or just 'reboot' and let
	 things start up again.

In my case, there was no "intel"; instead, the line was 'Driver
"modesetting"'.  I first replaced 'modesetting' by 'vesa', but it
failed.  Then I kept the file without modifications, i.e., with
'Driver "modesetting"' and it worked.

Regards,
a.

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
IPG (Institut de Physique du Globe) | alain.cochard at unistra.fr
5 rue René Descartes   [bureau 106] | Phone: +33 (0)3 68 85 50 44
F-67084 Strasbourg Cedex, France    | Fax:   +33 (0)3 68 85 01 25