[CentOS] Growing HW RAID arrays, Online

Mon Feb 24 03:35:38 UTC 2014
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>

----- Original Message -----
| On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
| > On 22.02.2014 22:27, James A. Peltier wrote:
| >>
| >> partprobe can rescan partitions, but it can't resize them.  You
| >> may
| >> be able to use gparted or the parted text mode to resize
| >> partitions
| >> online.
| >
| > Sadly you can't really do this without reboot. I'd love to be
| > wrong,
| > but I hit the same problem in the past and I simply found no way of
| > doing it.
| > Even with centos cloud instances, this operation (resize partition)
| > has
| > to be done from initramfs before the filesystems go "live".
|
| So my question is 'why can't partitions be grown live like disks
| can?'
|  I'm tempted to call this a bug.

Try

  blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdX

of course substituting /dev/sdX for the correct device.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

"Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long.  We KEEP MOVING FORWARD, opening up new doors and doing things because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney