[CentOS] FYI: CentOS legalese

Mon Feb 24 17:59:00 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Keith Keller <
kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

> On 2014-02-24, Brian Miller <centos at fullnote.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-02-24 at 12:28 +0000, jb wrote:
> >> http://nerdvittles.com/?p=8721
> >
> > The author of those pieces needs to read a bit closer.  His claim:
> >
> >         In a nutshell, the new RedHat Terms of Service outlaw use of
> >         CentOS in any product ???unless the combined distribution is an
> >         official CentOS distribution.???
> >
> > is not supported by any evidence he provides.  What is made clear is
> > that one cannot use the CentOS marks (ie logos, etc.) in a derivative
> > distribution.
>
> The actual text from what the original blog author cites
> (https://www.centos.org/legal/trademarks/):
>
> "Use of the CentOS Marks to identify software that combines any portion
> of the CentOS software with any other software , unless the combined
> distribution is an official CentOS distribution. For example, you may
> not distribute a combination of the CentOS software with software
> released by the FooStack project under the name ''CentOS FooStack
> Distro''."
>
> So the guidelines prohibit the use of CentOS *Marks*, not CentOS in his
> hypothetical scenario.

Derivative projects are probably in the same boat CentOS is ... removing
the trademarked items.

ie:  CentOS removes Red Hat trademarks (name, logo, whatever else)

That would be my expectation if anything at all were necessary.

Hopefully that author will consult the proper people and get a clear answer.
Some people like to rant to rant ... it's rather sad because more time is
wasted than actually doing something.