[CentOS] Centos 6.5 on USB stick performance / stalls

Fri Feb 28 15:21:11 UTC 2014
David G. Miller <dave at davenjudy.org>

Rainer Traut <tr.ml at ...> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am running C6.5 64bit on an USB stick connected to a HP DL360G7;
> It is usually an ESXi host but eg for firmware updates (not available on
> SPP) I use this local installation.
>
> Problem are the lags and unresponsiveness we are seeing for example when
> running yum update in the installation phase. The whole system stalls
> but there is no io in vmstat.
<SNIP>

I've been running various versions of Fedora from a USB hard drive for
several years and haven't seen anything like what you describe.  I'm using a
"real" 400GB Western Digital hard drive instead of flash or SSD.  Given my
experience I'd bet that the lags you're seeing are due to the flash drive.

Cheers,
Dave