[CentOS] suggestions for large filesystem server setup (n * 100 TB)

Fri Feb 28 15:43:41 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator

> What might be a good way to provide one big filesystem for a few users
> which could also be enlarged; backuping the data is not the question.

Really?  Does that mean you already have a backup, don't care if you
lose it, or that you want something with redundancy built in (which
still isn't quite the same as having a backup).

> So how do you handle big filesystems/storages/shares?

The easy/expensive way is to buy an appliance like a NetApp and mount
it via nfs.  And use its own tools for snapshots, raid management,
etc.    I don't have any experience with it, but from what I've read I
would say that 'ceph' is the up-and-coming way of doing your own
distributed/redundant storage although I'm not sure I'd trust the
pieces that turn it into a filesystem yet.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com