[CentOS] A question about 7

Wed Jan 15 12:51:43 UTC 2014
Steve Thompson <smt at vgersoft.com>

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, mark wrote:

> What do you mean, "slot"? All of my servers, and our systems at home, the
> NIC's on the m/b. What "slot" is that? Is it labeled *anywhere*? No, of course
> not.

Many servers have PCI cards for NICs in addition to those on the
motherboard (if any). For example, most of my file servers have eight
ethernet interfaces (six 1GBE, two 10GbE). On my Dell servers, the
built-in interfaces are labeled on the back panel.

However, at least in CentOS 6, you can call the interfaces anything you
want by suitably changing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. The
names used have to be consistent with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
of course.

BTW, I have some workstations that have only a single interface, and that
comes up as p2p1. I actually like the new scheme better, but don't get me
started on the use of UUID in /etc/fstab...

Steve