[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jan 8 10:54:19 UTC 2014

On 01/08/2014 02:14 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

Think about this.  RDO, GlusterFS, oVirt, and OpenShift Origin are all
Red Hat community offerings that need to have a long lived community
base OS to speed their usage and growth.

All of those also have a paid equivalent (Open Stack Platform, Storage,
RHEV, and Open Shift) where Red Hat gets paying customers if the
community projects thrive.  It is absolutely in Red Hat's best interest
for all of the community software listed above to do well.

Red Hat wants their paid platforms to continue to be successful, they
therefore want their community projects to be successful.

CentOS and Red Hat are joining forces to make those (and other)
community projects more successful.  It is a simple as that and it is in
both the CentOS Project's and Red Hat's best interest for both of us to
thrive and grow.

Fedora, a Linux distribution to deliver "state of the art" features, is
also always going to be "Red Hat Enterprise Linux ... Next".  Fedora is
also a great Linux distribution in its own right.  It is obviously still
very much in Red Hat's best interest for Fedora to continue to grow.

Is Red Hat in business to make money ... of course they are.  Does Red
Hat make more money or less money if their community projects do well?
Of course they make more money if more people use their community
projects.  Red Hat wants CentOS, Fedora, RDO, GlusterFS, oVirt,
OpenShift Origin, and every other project where they provide support to
do thrive and grow.

Is it in the CentOS Project's best interest for RHEL and Fedora to
continue to grow ... of course it is.

Karanbir Singh (the Chair of the CentOS Project board) and Robyn
Bergeron (the Fedora Project Leader) have both posted blog entries that
discuss these items in further detail:

http://www.karan.org/blog/2014/01/07/as-a-community-for-the-community/

http://wordshack.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/centos-welcome/

This is not rocket science folks. We all want all of these open source
projects to do well.

I am very excited about this arrangement and I think we all win.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes