[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jan 9 19:37:42 UTC 2014

On 1/9/2014 11:26 AM, David Miller wrote:
> At this point I really don't see why RedHat doesn't just offer RHEL + updates + extra channels for free and then only charge for support. This would put them on a real equal ground with Canonical.

I suspect doing so would cut heavily into their revenue stream, as many
business IT operations types who are told they have to run RHEL because
___ requires it would just install it and never pay for support.   by
keeping the free version separately branded, however slight the actual
difference, discourages this except by those in the know.