[CentOS] Who deletes/edits my resolv.com ?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Thu Jan 9 23:46:09 UTC 2014

Benjamin Hackl wrote:

> When using DHCP add the line
>
> PEERDNS=no
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<iface>
> It keeps your resolv.conf as it is.

Thanks for that.

I don't know if this was a sheer fluke,
but when I added that from my laptop the connection to my server
was immediately broken, and after some study I found why:
IPforwarding was turned off on my server,
  [root at alfred ~]# sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward
  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
I had to run
  [root at alfred ~]# sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Who changes this setting, and why??
I sometimes feel there are little men inside my server
either with evil minds or else very pedantic intentions.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net