[CentOS] CentOS on HP DL360e with B120i

Nathan Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Fri Jan 10 15:26:19 UTC 2014

On Jan 8, 2014, at 3:13 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
>
>> On 1/7/2014 10:39 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>> I am trying to install CentOS5 on a new HP DL360e G8 with B120i disk
>>> controller. It appears that a proprietary HP driver is needed for it.
>>
>> fwiw, centos 6.recent should recognize that controller, I know it
>> supports the P420i thats in the DL??0p Gen8 systems.
>
> AFAIK, B120i is a fake raid that needs an hp driver...
>
> /begin_rant
> The same that is in the microserver g8 I sadly just bought...
> Sadly because: fake raid, no driver for 6.5 (yet) => kernel panic on 6.5.
> And, the icing on the cake: if you use AHCI instead, the so called super silent server sounds like an hair drier (drives temperature is only reported by the RAID drivers, so without RAID, they force the fan to a set speed... apparently close to 5 times the average speed: 6% => 30%)!
> HP response: do not use AHCI... product works as expected...
> /end_of_rant
>
> Good: hp raid utilities and compatible with other hardware hp raid controllers if you upgrade later.
> Bad: install annoyances, dependance on driver to be up to date with OS release, and AHCI + mdraid is more portable?

Agreed. If you need the same server with the supported 410 card, buy the DL360p series, and not the DL360e series.

I have one machine that's an e-series, purchased by accident, and it loaded fine with the proprietary driver, but I'm sure it will be a minor headache going forward.  HP went the cheap/bad route with the e-series.

--
Nate Duehr
denverpilot at me.com