[CentOS] Why does 'mysql' user has /bin/bash shell?

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Fri Jan 10 19:11:45 UTC 2014

On 1/9/2014 03:50, John Doe wrote:

>> Default MySQL installation on CentOS sets /bin/bash as shell.
>> I'm on a user cleanup task where I want reduce unneeded privileges to users.
>
> Its password should be locked.

I just tested here on an EL6 VM that didn't have mysql-server on it before:

     # grep mysql /etc/shadow
     mysql:!!:16079::::::

I tried to investigate further by taking a look at the mysql-server spec
file, but apparently CentOS doesn't ship with a source repo configured:

     $ yumdownloader --source mysql-server
     ....noise noise noise....
     No source RPM found for mysql-server-5.1.71-1.el6.i686

I looked in CentOS-Base.repo, and don't see one I can enable.

Also, connections to vault.centos.org are timing out right now, so I
can't build a .repo file entry by hand.

So, lacking real information, I will make a wild guess as to why this
happened: someone got lazy modifying an adduser/useradd command in the
mysql.spec file.