[CentOS] Kickstart deploys more packages?

Darod Zyree darodzyree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 22:37:40 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 22:20 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 01/12/2014 10:10 PM, Darod Zyree wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know why an Anaconda Kickstart installation deploys more rpm
> > packages than a manual "basic" installation?
> >
> > In both cases the following package groups were installed/used according
> > to anaconda-ks.cfg in root home directory: @core, @server-policy,
> > @workstation-policy
>
> what ones are more or which ones are missing ?
>
> also compare the anaconda-ks.cfg left behind on both attempts, are you
> sure the %packages section looks identical ?

My kickstart installation does 397 RPM packages.
A manual installation does 217 RPM packages.

My kickstart installation uses only an OS repository; no updates, epel
or anything like that for this test.

This repository was created using rsync and centos 6.5 iso.

Kickstart package list:
%packages
@core
@server-policy
@workstation-policy

Which is the same as choosing the "minimal" installation type during
manual anaconda as shown in the /root/anaconda-ks.cfg file after the
manual installation is completed.