[CentOS] A question about 7

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Jan 14 20:27:09 UTC 2014

On 1/13/2014 07:33, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> is there a CentOS
> version of that beta?

Not yet publicly available.

I've heard they have something running in the development environment,
but that they're still working on getting some of the RPMs to build.
That's a prerequisite for generating ISOs.

> If not, is it likely to be a real pain, once CentOS
> 7 is released, to upgrade from RHEL 7 beta to CentOS 7?

Anything that makes a RHEL7 -> C7 transition more difficult also makes
the reverse transition more difficult.  In this new world of Red Hat /
CentOS collaboration, that would be a Bad Thing.  I'd be surprised if
the transition was more difficult than just a forced upgrade of the
centos-release RPM.

How bad is the worst case -- reinstall the OS and rebuild the software
-- anyway?  By doing your initial work on the RHEL 7 beta, you learn
what you need to know to quickly redo the work on CentOS 7.

> Reason for this: at one of my local sf clubs, I've been trying to install
> Evergreen, F/OSS library software, on a system, and it's a nightmare. They
> seem to have been building it for Ubuntu whateverthelatestanimalis. The
> biggest problem is, IIRC, eventhandler and memchached; oh, and it uses
> postgresql 9, and nothing else. PGSQL 9 was not a big deal to install, but
> the other stuff.... Even trying to build it in /usr/local is a royal mess:
> though I've got the dbi installed, ./configure can't find it.

Post an actual error message, and someone may be able to help.