[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Jan 19 12:33:38 UTC 2014

On 19/01/14 05:41, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 01/17/2014 03:33 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, if you want a wide-open Linux, Les, you know where to get it.
>> Sigh..., It's complicated.   I want stability and reliable security
>> updates. But I don't like  being dependent on any single entity to
>> provide that. Maybe that goes back to relying on some AT&T unix
>> systems in what seems like another life.   Even though semi-compatible
>> alternatives were available, being forced to change was somewhat
>> painful.   So I don't necessarily want wide-open, just a little more
>> open than being married.
>>
>> I don't really think the CentOS team has an evil plan here, but they
>> should take it as a compliment that I think they are smart enough to
>> fool me if they did want to do something like inject a hidden backdoor
>> with their builds.  But, the bigger question is where it leaves us if
>> they just decide to quit after assimilating most of the related
>> systems under a build ecosystem that no one else can reproduce easily.
>>
> Maybe it might be a good idea to do some research on Debian
> systems?...and using them for file and system servers?......I'm just
> sayin' LoL!

When there is discernible evidence of a deterioration of service, maybe.
But until then it's all just FUD.

If anything, the evidence currently points to a vastly improved picture
since the delays of a few releases back. Back then there was cause for
concern. At present I see far less cause for concern. Of course things
can change, but at present I see no reason to be concerned. I've never
been very good at predicting the future so I will stick to looking at
what the present is telling me, and currently the CentOS team are doing
a good job on delivering the core product in a timely fashion. That is a
metric I can measure today and it tells me something meaningful. IF that
changes and things observably deteriorate then there are alternatives
but I'd rather make decisions based on what I observe today rather than
predictions about what might happen in the future.