[CentOS] Installing on USB Flash Drive

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 07:09:16 UTC 2014

> Is it possible to install CentOS on a USB Flash Drive.  Have boot
> sector, / and /boot on USB drive then put /home, etc on a software
> raid array of the physical drives.
>
> Thought there used to be motherboards with SDHC slots that you could
> use to boot off.

I have a couple of machines that run entirely off USB drives with
mdraid so I'd say it's possible, barring any unusual hardware
compatibility issues.

However, note that there might be an issue with anaconda and big USB
storage. The boot partition anaconda creates will not boot past grub.
I needed to manually create the partition to start on sector 63 for
grub to see it. Happens on my 16GB sticks but not on small 1GB sticks.