[CentOS] Booting Software RAID

Mon Jan 27 16:21:49 UTC 2014

>> Based on input from everyone here I am thinking of an alternate setup.
>>   Single small inexpensive 64GB SSD used as /boot, / and swap.  Putting
>> /vz on software RAID1 array on the two 4TB drives.  I can likely just
>> zip tie the SSD in the 1u case somewhere since I have no more drive
>> bays.  Does this seem like a better layout?
>
> As long as you have duplicate SSD as backup and regularly backup /boot
> to that other SSD, it should be OK. Loosing SSD and /boot with new
> kernels would be a mayor problem for you, you would need to recreate them.

I am thinking I will not have much I/O traffic on the SSD hopefully
extending its lifespan.  If it dies I will just need to reinstall
Centos on a replacement SSD.  My critical files will be in /vz that I
need backup on and I think RAID1 will give me double read speed on
that array.  Trying to balance cost/performance/redundancy here.