[CentOS] Booting Software RAID

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jan 28 22:37:30 UTC 2014

On 1/28/2014 1:35 PM, Leon Fauster wrote:
>> >As I noted in a previous post, it's got to be GPT, not MBR - the latter
>> >doesn't understand > 2TB, and won't.
> IMHO this applies only to partitions (eg. 3TB HD with MBR 1x1TB, 1x2TB Partition).

it also applies to 3TB drive with 3TB partition, such as you typically
use with LVM.

I don't like using raw disk devices in most cases as they aren't labeled
so its impossible to figure out whats on them at some later date.

just use the gpt partitioning tools and you'll be fine.   as long as its
not the boot device, the BIOS doesn't even need to know about GPT.

|parted /dev/sdb ||"mklabel gpt"|
|parted -a none /dev/sdb ||"mkpart primary 512s -1s"

that creates a single /dev/sdb1 partition using the whole drive starting
at the 256kB boundary (which should be a nice round place on most raid,
SSD, etc... the defaults are awful, the start sector is at an odd location)