[CentOS] NIS or not?

Jeffrey Hass xaccusa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 10:08:46 UTC 2014

Hey Sorin,

I'm getting ready to catch a plane to Dubai but wanted to answer you
real quick and short:
SSL for smaller networks in terms of authentication is fine and secure -
as long as your infrastructure is secure.

I'm glad to hear your using VM's more and more. It give you a lot more
control to manipulate, change and
recover from 'all kinds of errors' - tweaking .conf files, someone
having 'root' or 'admin' on you
as you have to trust someone/sometime...

.. anyway, um, I'm hoping you consider the SSL implementation if you
have to do something 'quick..'
if not, Kerberos will certainly help you from getting 'fired ..' it
won't be the reason you do anyway..

About the previous post about IPA - you're hitting LDAP anyway (that is
AD) and probably a few more out there
if you're somewhat of 'shop' with stuff everywhere......

IPA was hacked by a user group (exploit) in Seattle - and you get what
'you don't pay for' sometimes.

Having said this, all these tools at the end of the day generally get
the job done, the truth is 'what are you protecting..'
and from 'what..' usually determines the component and/or tool you'd
want to entertain.

Once you have it in-house // and your name is on it.. // and it's in
Production, really HARD to back out, in some
cases impossible.. Case in point:  TARGET was hacked by a 17-year old
punk with no date on a Friday night...
... and, well, they went from an 'openSource (which I FIRMLY believe
in)' to a mix-bag implementation to include
Oracle and IBM SSO/IdM implementation .. They removed Kerberos out of
the equation - mixed SSL with a non-REAL x.500
compliant LDAP, we can say it has the letters DA in it but you can
'reverse' that and come up with a name...
....and then, so it goes, BAM! someone's inside.. You see, the problem
here is many will jump in and recommend
a solution because 'they worked with it... and in most cases, IT IS all
they know...'  You drive this car, you love it
more than all other cars but have yet to drive the other cars and see
for yourself... Point is, milage may vary and WILL
and I will say this in my last post here on this thread, I've been in
court as a witness during DoD audits
and it was always, 'we went with a solution' that was proven and tried..
and recommended...
TRIED by who? Recommended by who?? Best practices?? Just a collective
agreement by a bunch of
dweebs that say, yeah, that sounds right.

Message is:  For what you need Kerberos would work and should work.
Enough documentation out there...
and such to help you... Also, YouTube, believe it or not has a lot of
posts (many by myself but in my alter ego name, which are many)
even this name is not real, but as I was saying - a ton of info.

It's funny what qualifies as a guru as at one time there was no Google
to get an answer and rattle a 'solution'
All my recommends is actual dogfood I have eaten and I don't want to see
the same thing
happen to others as this Security business is getting out of hand with
all 'these experts' that truly
don't have the heart to do what you're doing and get it done right and
to care enough to do that.

SSL is implemented on every WebApplication Server, product that is
Internet based except UDP - good luck
with that... but having said that, you can surely -- do this with SSL
and/or Kerberos.. Anything else, you're
going to pay for it.

Here's a snip and it comes down to your infrastructure, what you do for
a business, who your audience is/what they do
once they do have access.. who wants your information, risk assessment
is big here... and then there you go.

If you really wanted security.. you'd put another wrapper around this
using a SSO tool, Access Manager -- and combined the Kerberos ticket
into the packet once the SSL header is created with the credentials and
CERT it down the wire.
NO ONE IS GETTING IN, especially that 17-year old with a runny nose that
mom is paying for his college is trying
to do... Crazy world... Too bad we can meet these guys in person.. It
would be a whole different world.

Sorry so long.. I post a few times of year to help those that are really
burning the oil at night.

GOOD LUCK.

1. Kerberos SSL/TLS
2. LDAP has industrial strength protection build in if you hash the
passwords/encrpt
3. Stay away from ANYTHING MICROSOFT security - Enter: Oxy-moronic
4. An openSource SSO tool built on JBoss or Tomcat

THis is the real world right now..

And if anyone challenges, like the song says, it surely means they don't
know: Carry on.......

Wizard of Hass

--

Real men write their own device drivers ~  A. Tuckett