[CentOS] Booting Software RAID

Jeffrey Hass xaccusa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 15:25:57 UTC 2014

..this is nice, but way overcomplicated than it needs to be.
we're talking just slices /containers/ and data /files/ at the end of
the so-called
day everything is a file in *ix - even printers.. whatever.

... restoring the below would be a challenge for someone not truly
intimate with
this scheme.  it's great until 'something goes wrong.. and it will'

this reminds me of the early Linux days when the man pages were useless
to people
i would hire.. no examples, just raw statements from propeller-heads.
who cares if you geek out all night because you don't have a date on Friday?

.. in any event, you never need more than /four/ or /five/ partitioning
schemes,
anything more, you're just showing off... really.

folks, I explained the other day all it takes and you're up and running.

KEEP IT SIMPLE. this is not complicated stuff, unless you right code in
FORTRAN or something
sick like that, /enter: assembly.

about the OS (as you're calling it, must be a cross-over from
Microsoft), that partition SHOULD NEVER
fill up, if so, fire the SysAdmin because he's drinking or using the
non-drinking kind of Coke... in mass
quantities...

You could EASILY write a script (anyone do that here?) -- to monitor
that /OS file system ~ and send
alerts based on thresholds and triggers (notify the monitoring people
before they get even notified.. it's
alot of fun!) -- and put it in the crontab - // cron // - get yourself
some...

Better living through monitoring..

If a file system EVER filled up on my watch, the whole team will be
escorted out the door.... with their
badges in my hand... geezus.  I love these 'guru's' making it complicated.

The real talent and skill is in keeping it simple.
YOU WILL have to restore this some day.. and I've said this before, too,
YOU MAY and probably will
be gone in a few years (if you're not, you're really not that good at
this game.. as anyone that
stays in an IT job more than FIVE years is not growing, except for
old.... ) Really?

Oh, I offer this as real-world, world-wide experience. Pick a country,
I've done this stuff there..
Probably where you're at now, even Canada, as they have electricity
there now and lots
of CLOUDS based on their weather patterns.

PARTITIONS, one could do....  :

/swap (you know the rules here; twice your memory and NOT any more,
why??? do you breath more than you need?
/home  (give your users a break; makes restore VERY EASY for them.....
and they won't hate you
/opt  (lots of code gets installed her if you have a real job and use
real applications and not home alone on Friday night like I think some
of these posters are.
/var (if you want for bonus points
/socalledDATA, which really could be put in opt.

Wherever you're installing *ix code... that files sytem should have 52
to 60 % of your store.

I'm just saying.....

That person that said the OS files system grows and crashes should edit
their resume as YOU'RE FIRED!
MONITOR.

Oh, those LOG FILES, um, put them on the SAN -- yeah, that's it.

I hope this helps the people that get it and don't overly complicate
things. It's just Linux -- it was mostly written
by 'one guy...' in Scandinavia as a class-project -- then they all
jumped in.

I remember that post from that infamous creator.....

Get yourself some simplicity and contribute that... it works.  AND it
makes you look smarter.

No one likes an arrogant geek.

Wizard of Hass!
Much more than a Linux man --