[CentOS] idea: "hybrid" iso images?

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 20:58:35 UTC 2014

From: Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>

Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] idea: "hybrid" iso images?

i definitely had the same experience back then.  Anybody had luck with
simply dd a current CentOS iso.  I wonder if RedHat supports
ISOHybrid?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>  I just tried again, using an 8G thumb drive, with the
>> CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso image on my 64bit Dell laptop, and got a
>>quick error:
>>   "no boot sector found on USB device"
>>It then proceeded to boot the next device in the boot order list.
>>  I also tried it on 2 other Dell servers, and neither would boot the thumb drive.
>>
>> I then dd'd the latest Linux Mint iso to the same thumb drive, and it worked fine on my laptop.
>>So, perhaps the CentOS images can not (yet) be used this way.

I have yet to EVER get that to work.
The closest I get is have it start the boot/install process, then ask where the media/itself is.  It forgets, and can't find the install media-- even though IT IS the install media.  I've never figured that out.   But, it is what it is.  It does work nicely with the debian distros, such as Linux Mint though.