[CentOS] Simple question on USB flash drive naming

Thu Jan 2 14:36:30 UTC 2014
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

I have a USB key that when inserted into a port on my CentOS-6.5 system
maounts as this:

/dev/sdb1 /media/22d773e3-8502-4196-b45f-388380dcee48 ext2
rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks 0 0

What is the mechanism to give this thing a more human usable mount name /
volume name?

Mounting this USB key with what I guess is a UUID in place of a name was not
always the case.  My sense is that the change in behaviour started when I
moved the system from CentOS-5.7 to 6.0 but I cannot be sure that this is
actually the case.  The key has not changed since 2006 (CentOS-4) but the name
that CentOS assigns to its mount point has.  It used to be something like
"kingston_blahblah"

I looked at /dev/disk/ on the host and noted that the by-label sub-directory
is gone.  Is this something that should be there and is not or has CentOS-6
gotten rid of it?

TIA

Canada  L8E 3C3