[CentOS] odd issue with ipmitool

Thu Jan 16 16:44:15 UTC 2014

Got an older server running 6.5. I've been fighting it - I have two
webcams for surveillance of the room; one works with motion, but it
resizes the picture down
Adjusting resolution from 640x480 to 360x296
and the video's dark and bad contrast. So I went back to the camer I'd
been using before that worked fine... on CentOS 5.x, and then I remembered
why I'd gone to the other camera - the bottom 40% of so of the screen is
green - no picture, just green.

Doing a *lot* of googling, I saw references to this, and a number of folks
suggesting problems with USB messages. Now, I've tried plugging it in both
front and back of the server, given the possibility that there was a
difference in versions of USB support, but no joy.

So this morning, I started wondering if there was something going on,
hardware-wise, on the box. Installed OpenIPMI and ipmitools, fired it up,
and tried to do a simple ipmitool sel list... and get "unspecified error".
Ok, I said to myself, I tried ipmitool sel 1, ditto... but 2 gives me
Get SDR 0003 command failed: Unspecified error
Get SDR 0005 command failed: Unspecified error
Get SDR 0009 command failed: Unspecified error
Get SDR 0014 command failed: Unspecified error
Get SDR 0017 command failed: Unspecified error
and then a record. I tried jumping around - 200 (which I've seen as the
limit on other machines), nothing, 150, yes, 156 or so, yes. Not some
lower numbers.

So, now the question is whether something screwy is going on with the
hardware... or if just, for some reason, the SEL is screwed up. Note that
ipmitool sdr list works fine....

        mark