[CentOS] Centos-compatible motherboards

Wed Jan 1 22:02:21 UTC 2014
Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer at ngtech.co.il>

On 01/01/14 23:09, John R Pierce wrote:

> my point is, the coverage of that hardware listing on the redhat site is
> woefully inadequate for the needs of the OP.   NO motherboards or
> chipsets are listed, just complete systems, mostly servers.   Even the
> HP DL160gen8 servers I just bought for my lab at work aren't listed.

The basic assumption is that server hardware won't be changed every
second to allow actual systems to work and be designed.

It would be ridiculously absurd to assume that the "desktop" hardware is
compared to servers.

These servers and desktops have datasheets and basic specifications.
The manufacturers do tests mainly to fit their client needs.
It is expected for a specific chip-set to be similar on each and every
one of the machines it's on.
If there is someone that changes the scope of the hardware out of the
specifications such as over-clocking or over-usage or any other way of
"abusing' the hardware it is expected to not work properly or for all
the protection mechanisms to not work accordingly.

Lets take for a second "Linux" as a human.
Linux Desktop is a very intensive Desktop which is not like most the
users in the world that sits in a office.
It is very hard for many to meet Linux Desktop needs and demands.
For example.
Cisco servers do apply to even meet the demands of a Linux server in the
form of:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11583/

I am not sure for example that a company "xyz" that is not listed in RH
Certification doesn't have the same chipset as the Cisco servers.

It doesn't even matter...
This product for example:
http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4157#sp

Have basic specifications.
In amazon there is a price for this specific hardware while there is an
option it cannot even be delivered to your place.
Sometimes there is an option in the shape of a desktop in the local
store while the server is tempting.

In a case that the Linux Desktop is not demanding that much from the
hardware it can be satisfied with simple specifications.

Another example is:
AMD Opteron™ 6300 Series
which is 64 bit compatible and should not have any issues with the kernel.
I am almost sure that DDR3 memory is compatible with Linux Desktop
pretty easily.

Now to leave all the other parts aside such as PSU and some others...
Once a PC or a SERVER was tested by someone it means that it should work
unless was damaged in any way.

Indeed the HP DL160gen8 might not be in the list..
I am sure that a Xeon CPU from the E5-2600 product family should work
and meet Linux Desktop and Server.

I want to verify something:
How long would it take to decide that a hardware is compatible with a
software, will it be before it will overheat or after?

Thanks,
Eliezer