[CentOS] I want to ask about some Kernel level operations.

Thu Jan 2 00:25:23 UTC 2014
Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer at ngtech.co.il>

Hey John,

Thanks!

On 02/01/14 02:14, John R Pierce wrote:
> Its the principle of least privilege.
>
> You don't need to be root to compile software, or to test software in a
> local directory, you only need root privileges to install it to a system
> directory.   When you're developing, building, testing software, there's
> a very good chance of something going wrong, so if you are running as a
> non-root user, the potential damages are minimized.

OK so as long as I can understand the meaning of compiling as non-root
user is to be careful with your system.

I would say that my conclusion is that if there is a very big system it
is better to let the root user which understand the meaning of this
system and to operate it.

A simple testing machine which has error correction mechanism in it
should be OK.

I can see couple issues from my mind and vision but it seems like most
software in CentOS will be safe to be compiled as root user.(I am
testing a tiny simple piece of software)

To corrupt a system in a level which it cannot be recognized that you
have changed it you must be something like GOD or something in the same
level.

Thanks Again,
Eliezer