[CentOS] I want to ask about some Kernel level operations.

Sun Jan 5 22:10:13 UTC 2014
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Sun, Jan 05, 2014 at 11:54:12PM +0200, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Well I am building as root when I understand it is safe to do so.

This is the point; unless you wrote every line of code then you _don't_
know it's safe.

If I sent you a random script, would you run it as root without
checking every line of code first?  I'd hope not.

Have you checked all 10,000+ lines of code in all the "configure"
scripts and Makefiles ?

If (and only if) you've written every single line of code then... Ok,
do it as root.  But if you've done that then you might as well write
the build process so you _don't_ need root.  "Best practices" says
root should be an exception rather than the norm.

--

rgds
Stephen