[CentOS] Can we trust RedHAt encryption tools?

Tue Jan 7 13:34:20 UTC 2014
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

After all the news about backdoors, "planted" bugs or weakened standards in apps, in routers, hardware firmwares, etc... these days, can we trust anything?
Can we trust the bios?

Can we trust the compiler not to stealthily inject a backdoor in the compiled version of a clean code?Given that most entries from the The International Obfuscated C Code Contest (http://www.ioccc.org/)

looks (at least to me) like magic and any average dev would not (be able to) see evil code in the middle of it...And it is not only an NSA/USA thing, since it seems many countries are cooperating or doing the same...

By example, in the middle of the Snowden revelations, France just passed a blanket spying law (without judicial supervision)!

Anyway, I think that having a 100% trustable environment is more and more an utopia.

What? Pessimistic? Me? Yep!

JD