[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Wed Jan 8 00:21:23 UTC 2014
Always Learning <centos at u62.u22.net>

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 21:09 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> With great excitement I'd like to announce that we are joining the Red
> Hat family. The CentOS Project ( http://www.centos.org ) is joining
> forces with Red Hat. Working as part of the Open Source and Standards
> team ( http://community.redhat.com/ ) to foster rapid innovation
> beyond the platform into the next generation of emerging technologies.
> Working alongside the Fedora and RHEL ecosystems, we hope to further
> expand on the community offerings by providing a platform that is
> easily consumed, by other projects to promote their code while we
> maintain the established base.

Essentially Red Hat is slowly taking over and developing/assisting
Centos to be a more regular and structure organisation. The fact that
Red Hat now owns the Centos brand worries me but that's life. Absolutely
nothing remains static.

Centos was created by many ordinary people to whom I am very grateful.
Its a really great operating system. I genuinely like it, hence I
abandoned M$ completely about 5 years ago and have never regretted it. I
just wish I had migrated to Centos many years earlier.

Red Hat will gain commercially from their de facto take-over. One of the
general beneficial effects will be bringing Linux into the vast
mainstream of everyday computing and attracting (or should that be
enticing?) M$ business users.  Working as a single team with Red Hat
will inevitably mean speedier updates for Centos users.

I love Linux and want this merger to succeed. I'm patiently waiting for
Centos on my Cube (Android) tablet.

Happy New Year.
--
Paul.
England,

   Our systems are exclusively Linux. No Micro$oft Windoze here.

EXIM: chlothar.bnv-bamberg.de = 217.146.130.222 but HELO bnv-bamberg.de
has no IP address