[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Wed Jan 8 20:01:37 UTC 2014

Warren Young wrote:
> On 1/8/2014 01:14, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>
>> Redhat already has Fedora as a testing ground.
>
> True, but Fedora is a bleeding-edge Linux, while CentOS is a stable
> Linux.  Both have their place.

1++ (and boy, do I *hate* bleeding edge)

<snip>
> I think that's the real reason Red Hat is doing this: they want to make
> sure CentOS 7 launches smoothly, and are helping out the best way they
> can.
>
> Another good reason for Red Hat to do this is that they now have a
> serious answer to Ubuntu Server and Debian.  Before, they were saying,
> "Well, if you want no-cost Red Hattish Linux, you can go to *those*
> people over *there*."  Now they can point to an official Red Hat
> sponsored offering.  When/if those people want commercial support and
> such, they can use CentOS as an on-ramp to RHEL.

Yup. And since RH's big thing, like many old computer companies, is
service... and with this, the shops that are CentOS only will be more
likely to buy a RHEL license or two, to get guaranteed response to
issues... which makes it a lot more palatable to upper management, who
often only knows WinDoze.

> This is a good thing.

If that's it, I agree. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

       mark