[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Wed Jan 8 20:23:25 UTC 2014
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 01/09/2014 09:01 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> This is a good thing.
>
> If that's it, I agree. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

I can think of 101 different reasons as to why this move is good for
RedHat, and no reason why them picking up CentOS only to kill it would
be good for them.  If RedHat were to kill CentOS it would just leave the
door open to other clones to step in and fill the gap, other ones such
as SL or puias which are not as strict in cloning RHEL, so could give
RedHat a bad name if the clone has problems, or worse yet, Oracle.

The worst thing I can see happening here is that RedHat may decide at
some point in the future that the relationship isn't working out and
will simply release CentOS back as a fully community-driven project,
they've done this before on other projects and it's not a malicious move
that kills the project it's just going separate ways.  If this were to
happen then CentOS would be no worse off than it was before the move to
RedHat in the first place.

Peter