[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Wed Jan 8 23:38:35 UTC 2014

hi,

On 01/08/2014 02:47 PM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> One thing that struck me in Karanbir's message was the marketing
> mumbo-jumbo such as "the next generation of emerging technologies" and
> "a platform that is easily consumed".
>
> Karanbir usually writes better than that, so I suppose that someone
> else had a important role in drafting the message.

i am sorry about that - some of those things came through in my attempt
to reduce the post from just over 2400 words to under 1000. I didnt make
it, it was still over a 1k words. But i do mean that, lots of really
cool stuff was bootstrapped on CentOS, but not here - and in many cases,
so far away from the project that people had to do it again and again.

the voip setup for home/small users is the best example. if
asterisk at home were done as a part of the centos community, how cool
would that have been?

the next generation of cool stuff is all also happening out there, and I
really do want to bring as much of that into the centos community as
possible - after all, we are a user and problem lead community, not a
developer led one where someone is just churning out new code to see
what works and what does not.

its been hard to do in the past, mostly down to the constraints - Red
Hat TM issues, protect the buildservice, handle 100+ sponsors, work on
community issues, get that update out in the 45 min between dinner time
and kid's bedtime etc.

And remember, a critical artifact of this group : we are a user led
community, not a developer led one. Massive win, in my opinion. But the
lack of developer density has been a problem. And I dont know how much
of that we will get access to, but at >0 we are already winning. right ?

Now 'easily consumed'... becuase we can start opening up the
buildsystem, publish all the scripts we write, post instance and image
specs - and anyone/everyone is welcome to join the effort since the
needs of privacy and secrecy are dramatically reduced ( i assure you,
this is one of the top wins in my books ).

Come join me in an officehours meetup (
http://wiki.centos.org/OfficeHours ) - lets talk about these things :)

- KB

--