[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Thu Jan 9 19:26:24 UTC 2014
David Miller <millerdc at fusion.gat.com>

On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:55 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> On 01/09/2014 08:34 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
>> Is this for real? Oracle are apparently a thorn in the side to RH and
>> thus all the changes to C6 that caused lots of delays ...... if this
>> changes as indicated, doesn't that negate all those changes and give
>> Oracle a leg up to getting their clone to market sooner?
>> I guess I'm missing something
>
> I really dont know how oracle's linux rebuild effort works - but as far
> as I -do- know, the sources are available at the same time to everyone
> right ? its a case of what you do with them and how you do it.
>
> Also, i think people are reading too far into the delays for C6 were
> caused by redhat - it was also down to limited resources, machines, time
> and almost no QA infra at .centos.org  :: that contributed quite a lot.
> Things that we have overcome and built up in the last few years.
>
> Might also be worth noting that we have a centos7beta up internally
> already.
>
> Look at it another way - we are not working with the RHEL teams, we are
> working with the RH open source and standards team ( that has no real
> input into RHEL ) - to expand what we do with the platform, rather than
> carry on with the single focus of the platform. And I think being more
> open and more community driven, we -can- improve across the board.

At this point I really don't see why RedHat doesn't just offer RHEL + updates + extra channels for free and then only charge for support. This would put them on a real equal ground with Canonical.  It would save money and time freeing up all the duplicated effort of ripping out all the redhat logos and rebuilding the core OS and then rebuilding all the updates. The core CentOS team and volunteers working on CentOS would be freed up and could focus their effort on extending third party open source projects mentioned earlier in the thread to work better with RHEL. Just my 2 cents. In any case, this is interesting news. Ever since the CentOS team got everything going smoothly for CentOS 6.x version, my biggest concern was Redhat’s continued use of extra paid for channels like software collections. I hope that things like software collections packages start getting timely releases with CentOS too. As always thank you so much for all the hard work!

David C Miller.