[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Thu Jan 9 20:18:10 UTC 2014

David Miller wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:55 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>> On 01/09/2014 08:34 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
<snip>>
>> Look at it another way - we are not working with the RHEL teams, we are
>> working with the RH open source and standards team ( that has no real
>> input into RHEL ) - to expand what we do with the platform, rather than
>> carry on with the single focus of the platform. And I think being more
>> open and more community driven, we -can- improve across the board.
>>
> At this point I really don't see why RedHat doesn't just offer RHEL +
> updates + extra channels for free and then only charge for support. This
> would put them on a real equal ground with Canonical.  It would save money

That's an *easy* one to answer: try selling "we can use it for free, we
just download it from the net and install it....

Right. You want to see 66.6% of CTOs, much less 95% of CEOs, go with that
as a business plan? They almost comprehensively want Someone To Get On The
Phone (and I do *not* mean someone in India, with a heavy accent, asking
if they're rebooted their computer) to resolve this within an SLA.

Tell them you can try it out, and if they like the results, they can pay
for a license and support for RHEL, the "real" thing, and that's a *lot*
easier sell.

       mark