[CentOS] Who deletes/edits my resolv.com ?

Fri Jan 10 10:46:23 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it>

John R Pierce wrote:

>> IPforwarding was turned off on my server,
>>    [root at alfred ~]# sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward
>>    net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0

>> Who changes this setting, and why??
>> I sometimes feel there are little men inside my server
>> either with evil minds or else very pedantic intentions.
>
> note you need to put sysctl settings in /etc/sysctl.conf, or they won't
> persist on reboot.

Yes, thanks, I had done that.
But I hadn't actually re-booted after adding PEERDNS=no to ifcfg-eth1.
It seems the mere change triggered the kernel to turn forwarding off.

Incidentally, I am running shorewall on this server with IP_FORWARDING=On .
I'm surprised this does not turn on kernel forwarding.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net