[CentOS] Configure wireless USB ethernet

Sat Jan 11 05:17:13 UTC 2014
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

> Ok, got it installed and I can get the interface to scan and I can see all
> of the available cells (all of my neighbors), including my own.  However
> when I do a test connect, this is what I get back:
>
> Trying to associate with e0:46:9a:35:fb:98 (SSID='Nymphadora' freq=2412 MHz)
> ioctl[SIOCSIWFREQ]: Device or resource busy
> Association request to the driver failed
> Associated with 00:00:00:00:00:00
> CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=e0:46:9a:35:fb:98 reason=0
>
> Over and over and over again.
>
> Please note, NetworkManager is still running.  If I stop NM, that interface
> disappears and an attempt to scan tells me:
>
>> iwlist wlan0 scan
> wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
>
> So evidently, I need NM running for the interface to be present.  How can I
> do that without NM?
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Great ... now how do I configure this sucker?  When I turn NM off, that
>>> interface disappears.  I'm assuming I can create an 'ifcfg-wlan0'
>>> configuration but what do I need to put in there so it knows to connect
>>> my home wireless (with password) and all of that fun and exciting stuff,
>>> and continue to do that over a reboot.
>>
>> Using wpa_supplicant.  If it is not installed, yum install
>> wpa_supplicant and you will need to edit /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
>> and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.  Examples are in
>> /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-* or plenty of them online .. You probably
>> also need to rename/mv the SXXwpa_supplicant in your /etc/rcX.d to start
>> wpa_supplicant before network.

You don't need NM.  I don't ever use it.  I wonder if NM is causing the
problem.  I would stop NM and make sure you have wpa_supplicant set up
right .. or at least the part in /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant and then
stop network and wpa_supplicant, start wpa_supplicant and try iwlist wlan0
scan.