[CentOS] Linux reinstallation without rebooting? Alternative to kickstart and other such tools?

Sat Jan 11 15:07:43 UTC 2014
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 11.01.2014 09:08, Rafał Radecki wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I am curious if it is possible to reinstall linux distribution to
> centos
> (or another distro) if I have a remote linux server with no kvm access
> (i
> do not want to use virtualization). I know that for installation pxe,
> tftpboot and kickstart or a proper iso/cd and kickstart are standard
> options. But for such operations I would need kvm access. Are there
> any
> alternatives which do not need it? For example: I have a centos
> server,
> then I add some software, run it, point to a kickstart file available
> through http remotely or give network parameters and partitioning
> layout
> and the software takes care of the rest, no need for kvm access during
> install.
>
> Is something like that possible? :)
> I know that it may be seen as an "exotic" question but there are many
> opensource projects starting every day and maybe someone knows an
> interesting piece of software. Thanks!

http://www.nux.ro/archive/2011/01/CentOS_install_over_VNC.html (works
for EL6, too)

Watch out for typos! You only get to do it once :)
Mistakes that I see people do a lot are with the "root (hd0,0)" section
and with the path, ie /boot/pxe-vmlinux vs /pxe-vmlinux when you have a
dedicated partition for /boot. It has to be like in the running OS.
Also, do not configure the network in Anaconda during the install as
you'll probably kill the connection, it will inherit the network
settings from grub automatically.

Nux!
www.nux.ro