[CentOS] Need help with kernel, modules and headers

Tue Jan 14 14:04:49 UTC 2014
Patrick Begou <Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr>

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Patrick Begou
> <Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:
>> I need some help about kernels, modules and so on.
>>
>> I've installed CentOS6.5 (fresh install) on a DELL E7440 laptop. After all the
>> updates I get the latest kernel: kernel-2.6.32-431.
>>
>> But with this config I've a problem: If I close the screen on the keyboard, the
>> laptop hibernate. When I open it the system restart (I connect use ssh to reach
>> the laptop) but the screen remains black (Intel HD Graphics 4400).
>>
>> I've installed a more recent kernel from  elrepo-kernel
>> (kernel-lt-3.10.26-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64) and it solves the black screen problem.
>>
>> But now I have several errors about
>> => kdump,
>> Starting kdump: ÉCHOUÉ
>> => vboxdrv
>> Starting VirtualBox kernel modules  ÉCHOUÉ
>>     (modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
>> => dkms (requested for VirtualBox)
>> Démarrage de dkms : Error!
>> Your kernel headers for kernel 3.10.26-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64 cannot be found at
>> /lib/modules/3.10.26-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64/build or
>> /lib/modules/3.10.26-1.el6.elrepo.x86_64/source.
>>
>> but kernel-lt-headers cannot be installed (conflicting with the installed
>> kernel-headers requested by many packages).
> You need the kernel-devel package (not -headers) that matches your
> running kernel.
>
> Akemi

Thanks Akemi.  Now, after a new fresh install of centos and this kernel, the
laptop boot properly and when the laptop hibernate after closing the screen the
restart is fast and efficient. I also notice a very faster network with these
new drivers!

But I think I still have a problem with modules added by virtual box. If I
install this application the problem come back as with previous kernel. Mays be
hibernation it is not supported with virtualbox and the modules it adds...

Patrick

|  Equipe M.O.S.T.         |                                      |
|  Patrick BEGOU           | mailto:Patrick.Begou at grenoble-inp.fr |
|  LEGI                    |                                      |
|  BP 53 X                 | Tel 04 76 82 51 35                   |
|  38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX    | Fax 04 76 82 52 71                   |