[CentOS] A question about 7

Wed Jan 15 01:17:14 UTC 2014
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 1/14/2014 16:37, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 02:57:20PM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> Everyone, drop a tear for the dead "eth0".  <sniff>  We will miss you, eth0!
>
> Haven't played much with it in CentOS.  In Fedora, at present, it is a bit
> of pain as both biosdevname and systemd have something to do with it,
> making it less consistent than ever.

I don't know about "less consistent", but I always considered it a
feature in Linux vs the BSDs or big iron Unix that I could always count
on the first network interface being "eth0".  BSD and big iron Unix
named the interface after the Ethernet driver, as if that was what was
important.

I get that network interfaces can move around on you, but I thought that
was why they started putting the MAC address in the ifcfg-eth? scripts.
  What problem did that not solve, that we had to switch to this new system?

Now I have to remember which *PCI slot* my Ethernet card is in when I
run "ifconfig" unless I want to dig through the full listing.

Evil shades of PR#1, begone!

(Apple DOS 3.3 reference, there.)