[CentOS] A question about 7

Wed Jan 15 01:52:59 UTC 2014
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 01/15/2014 02:17 PM, Warren Young wrote:

> I don't know about "less consistent", but I always considered it a
> feature in Linux vs the BSDs or big iron Unix that I could always count
> on the first network interface being "eth0".  BSD and big iron Unix
> named the interface after the Ethernet driver, as if that was what was
> important.

Admittedly I like the ethX naming scheme as well, but it did have issues.

> I get that network interfaces can move around on you, but I thought that
> was why they started putting the MAC address in the ifcfg-eth? scripts.
> What problem did that not solve, that we had to switch to this new system?

There are situations where the nic needs to be used or at least
initialized before networking is brought up, pxe boot comes to mind as
just one example.  With the new naming convention the nic will have a
consistent name everywhere barring any hardware changes (like moving it
to a different slot).

> Now I have to remember which *PCI slot* my Ethernet card is in when I
> run "ifconfig" unless I want to dig through the full listing.
>
> Evil shades of PR#1, begone!

You can still use the old naming convention.  There's a setting
somewhere for it and it's easy to change, I can't recall off the top of
my head where it is, though.

Peter