[CentOS] A question about 7

Wed Jan 15 02:25:12 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Darr247 <darr247 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-01-14 8:34 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>> Now I have to remember which *PCI slot* my Ethernet card is in when I
>> run "ifconfig" unless I want to dig through the full listing.
>> Yes, but that's something you _can_ know.
>>

> So... which PCI/PCI-e slots are associated with the dual gigabit NICs
> integrated in/on every ASUS board I've bought over the last 8 years?

I wouldn't know on the first one, but the important thing is that if
you have 50 identical servers they would all be the same for the same
physical location.  The way 6.x works, the motherboard set and the
pair on the card will randomly flip in the initial detection.  With
5.x having the MAC address in the ifcfg-ethx file was enough.  With
6.x you also need a udev rule to nail the name down.   These get tied
to MAC addresses in the initial install, but that makes it painful to
clone systems or restore backups into a different box.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com