[CentOS] A question about 7

Wed Jan 15 17:52:21 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> The problem is when you clone a disk and ship it to a location with
>>> 'hands-on' support that doesn't know linux to install in a new chassis
>>> that will arrive there at the same time.   Somehow you have to get
>>> someone to put the 4 network cables in the right NICs before anything
>>> can connect.   With things tied to MAC addresses that you don't know
>>> ahead of time, nothing will work.
>
> When you clone a disk, you can't get the ifcfg-eth* and
> 70-persistant-net-rules from the old machine, or you don't have that info
> under version control, with all those systems?

I don't have that information on the 1st install.  Once it is up and
running the ocsinventory-ng client will report the hardware to a
central server.   I suppose with a huge increase in human effort
needed, the MAC addresses of the systems and cards could be databased
as they are installed..  But, even knowing them doesn't help when you
clone multiple identical disk images.   And something would still have
to map the MACs to the physical positions.

>> We have to go through contortions
>> plugging on cable in at a time, doing an 'ifconfig up' and checking
>> which interface shows link up.   And the people  doing that part wish
>> we used more windows instead of Linux.
>
> ifconfig up? Not ethtool eth?

You have to do both.  Link won't come up until you ifconfig up the
device - which of course is difficult when you don't know its name...

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com