[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Fri Jan 17 02:06:14 UTC 2014
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

Am 17.01.2014 um 01:18 schrieb Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>:

> On 01/13/2014 09:14 AM, Andreas Kasenides wrote:
>> Apparently nto all is well with the take-over.
>> Here is an example. Should I stop mirroring CentOS in the fear of being
>> arrested next time a I visit the US on vacation?
>>

> I dont understand your question or statement, what are you saying here ?
> Can you say the same thing, but a bit in a more verbose manner ?

I think he refers to:

"You may not provide CentOS software or technical information to individuals or entities located in one of these countries or otherwise subject to these restrictions.“

He fears that he’s held responsible if someone from Iran uses e.g. his mirror to download the stuff.

Maybe thinking of this incident:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/19/apple-store-refuses-to-sell-ipad-to-iranian_n_1609734.html

Though the ban on iPhones seems to have been lifted, actually:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/27/apple-to-start-sales-of-devices-going-to-iran-after-us-sanctions-lifted

Can you check with „your“ legal department if Open Source operating systems are still not allowed to be exported to „certain" countries?

I really hope someone at the treasury department gets the irony of not allowing a „free“ operating system being exported from a „free“ country to an „unfree“ country….