[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Fri Jan 17 17:34:07 UTC 2014
Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org>

On 01/17/2014 10:03 AM, IonPacepa wrote:
> "Every one of "you", unhappy ones, could have created your own rebuild, "
>
> A lot of Redhat rebuild projects gave up their very existence to support a
> single CentOS.
>
> Not giving up the secret sauce is about control and power in the hand of a
> few that have now financially benefited and retain a dictatorship on
> roadmaps, release information and code.

I really didn't want to get dragged into this, and this will probably be
my only post on the matter. But I feel the need to address some 'facts'
that have been laid out.

Let's clear a few points up here:

The benefit we gained is time. We are able to work on this fulltime now
instead of after hours following a job doing something else.

As to not giving up the secret sauce, we publish the changelog and
packages we've had to modify to deal with TM compliance. It's in the
wiki for every release. The build scripts for isos were for the early
releases were on the mirrors and are still published on the vault.

What we didn't do was create a support mechanism to fracture the
community every time someone got an idea. That seeks only to tear away
at the community rather than to build it up.

Several groups took the distribution we put out and changed it to suit
their own needs just fine. ClarkConnect as an example.

> Community here is a consumer of a built OS, but there is no community in how
> it gets built. And with this centralized power comes the takeover and
> payouts.

Please stop the FUD here.
The centralized power you're talking about is the origin of the source.
It was never ours. We, SL, Puias/SpringDale and the rest all had to go
through the same motions.

> If Redhat wasnt trying to block OEL or SL or trying to control CentOS and
> make it different, they would simply offer RHEL for free on their own. This
> allows them to wean the world off of CentOS at what is likely to be a
> glacial pace at first then by Redhat we will have all given up.

Hugely incorrect and outright FUD. The point of this is to *build*
community. Offering free RHEL would fracture and destroy several
communities, as well as damaging likely damaging Red Hat's reputation in
the eyes of everyone inside those communities and anyone outside who
wanted to throw stones.

--
Jim Perrin