[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Sat Jan 18 04:45:50 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com> wrote:

>> Gmail's web interface is very low-maintenance...
>
> Have to take exception to this comment - the interface changes at the whim
> of google and I have to relearn - recently the changes have come with
> increasing frequency and major impact on how they operate - a quick search
> shows many folk are unhappy with the direction they are headed.

There are a lot of options - I'm not particularly fond of the
defaults, so I set them the way I want and turn off their guessing
about what I want to see.

>>   And if you tweak the
>> options to advance when you delete or archive, surprisingly easy to
>> use.
>
> My daughter is just wrapping up her doctoral thesis and the university she
> attends uses gmail for their mail system. The changes over the last 12
> months have caused her to miss incoming mail as gmail associates incoming
> mail with other threads, and struggle to manage her account - she is above
> average intelligence...so go figure, google knows best and they are now so
> big, you like it, or lump it, or go elsewhere....

If you don't actually read your email I can see how things might get
lost.  But that's the significance of that setting to advance on
archive/delete.  I set it to sort newest first so I can look at each
message instead of letting google guess what I wanted done with it.
Showing the next message instead of going back to the index each time
saves a lot of time.  And the android version works approximately the
same.    The plus side is that you don't have to spend a lot of time
organizing the archived messages.  It's google - they know how to
search....

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com