[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Sat Jan 18 14:29:53 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 18/01/14 13:54, Nux! wrote:
> On 18.01.2014 13:19, Ned Slider wrote:

>>> I will be using thunderbird from somewhere .. even if I have to build
>>> it
>>> myself
>>>

>> Same here.
>>
>> I don't think it will be a huge issue - Thunderbird is still in Fedora
>> so it should be relatively easy to rebuild for RHEL7. Hopefully EPEL
>> will pick it up.
>
> You can merely download, extract and run the binaries from Mozilla.
> They run perfectly and can self-update:
> https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/latest/

I used to do that when FF/TB in the distro were quite outdated, but
found the updating never worked for me, hence the convenience of
maintained RPM packages. This was quite a few years ago, possibly around
the time v3 was in the distro.

If updating works I'm OK running the Mozilla binaries for my own
personal usage, but I'd still prefer to be able to manage all updates
with yum.