[CentOS] mail tools preferences?

Sat Jan 18 20:35:33 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>> If you can't remember what you've sent, you can type
>> From: me
>> in the search box at the top and it will show what you've sent and
>> also the threads where you have participated.  That's a feature I use
>> regularly because you can easily note unread topics because they are
>> in a bold font.
>
> Oh, you mean if I use the web interface?  Not relevant for me.  I mean,
> that if I send an email to this list, in a little while, it will show up in
> my local mailbox for this mailing list.  I almost never use the web
> interface.

I use a bunch of different machines but I'm never far from a web
browser.   The search feature means you can find an old email by
anything you can remember about it so you don't need to waste time
categorizing things.

>> Using pop won't track read/unread accurately.   If you are going to do
>> it that way, why not use imap?  Or do you point your phone at your own
>> server?
>
> I don't use a phone for email. I think I'm too old--seriously, my eyes need
> a larger screen.  Also, the thought of typing an email on a phone is too
> much for me.

I'm old too, but I find modern large-screened phones to be fairly easy
to read.  But, I rarely type a reply there.  I just hit 'mark unread'
and pick it up on a computer later to reply unless the reply is needed
immediately or would be very short.  That's the nice thing about
having the same view from anywhere, and without needing special
clients.   On mail lists you probably read/skip a hundred messages to
every one you answer, so using a phone lets you do some of it anytime
or place.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com