[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Sat Jan 18 21:28:33 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> Complicated is a good word...
>
>>   But, the bigger question is where it leaves us if
>> they just decide to quit after assimilating most of the related
>> systems under a build ecosystem that no one else can reproduce easily.
>>
> There is no secret sauce to the buildsystem.  It's not like we're
> converting TRS-80 Model II TRSDOS files to LS-DOS or anything here,
> where things aren't well-documented or completely undocumented.

Hey, I could have done that with my eyes closed and in z80 code.  But
those were simpler times.

> I have reproduced to an extent the buildsystem for CentOS 5 on IA64, and
> with a little nudging in the right direction by some folks I was able to
> figure it out.  The hard part, as as been said I don't know how many
> times, is getting the x.0's first tree's dependency tree and build
> sequence correct with the buildroot populated with a good starter set of
> packages (and this is very well documented in the Fedora documentation).
>
> Anyway, the current work with seven.centos.org is a really good start.

I hope someone manages an ARM build eventually.  It would be fun to
play with cheap hardware and reliable code.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com